Sri S.Ramasamy Naidu Memorial College, Sattur
Sri S.Ramasamy Naidu Memorial College, Sattur, is unique in that it was started and is run by and mainly for rural people domiciled in the districts of Tuticorin, Tirunelveli and Virudhunagar. It is run by the Managing Committee of Sri S.Ramasamy Naidu Memorial College, which is a society registered under the societies registration act, Act XXI of 1860. [Registration No. 33 of 1970, Tuticorin]. The society has 1455 life members drawn from 114 villages in the districts named above. The administration of the college is carried on by the College Management Committee.
The Committee consists of the 11 members of the Board of Directors of the society plus the Principal and two senior most members of the teaching staff and a representative of the Madurai Kamaraj University. Started in 1970 with just 45 students in the Pre-University class, the college has grown to a strength of 2076 doing 10 U.G. courses and 6 P.G. courses, 2 M.Phil courses and a Ph.D Research Programme in Commerce.
The College is located in Sadayampatti village of Sattur Panchayat Union in a campus of 48.54 acres. Men’s hostel has a capacity to accommodate 240 students. At present there are only 120 resident students in the hostel. About 360 girls are accommodated in the Women’s Hostel with 50 rooms. A new Women’s Hostel with 50 rooms is under construction at a cost of Rs. 1.38 crores. It is funded by the UGC under Xth plan grants.
The College has a well-maintained and computerized Library with 27465 volumes and adequate racks and other furniture, Index Cards etc. All the Science Courses are supported by well-equipped laboratories. The College has 48 teaching halls, adequately furnished. It has got play-fields for all major games and a sports-track, all of which have been made weather proof.
There are separate canteen for ladies and gents, and a lunch-room for Girl’s day-scholars. There is an open-well and two bore-wells in the campus, which supply enough water for the needs of the college. The college has its own Mineral Water plant with adequate capacity to meet the drinking water needs of the staff and the students. The whole campus is covered by shady trees, numbering more than a thousand. There is a tank to collect and store rain water for the use of the Chemistry labs.
The Internal Administration is managed by the Principal assisted by a Staff Council consisting of all the Heads of Departments. There is a discipline committee of 3 senior professors to enforce student discipline.